Visa Renewal for Existing Student
- Students applying for renewal will be issued with a student pass with a maximum duration of 12 months.
- To avoid overstaying upon the lapse of your student pass, it is recommended that the student pass renewal application be submitted (together with all required documents) no later than 6 weeks from the student pass expiry date.
- MYR 148.40 (approximately USD 35) non-refundable visa processing fee, although selected institutions are entitled to rebates. There will be an additional charge of MYR 300 (approximately USD 70) for documents such as student pass and i-Kad. In total, it would cost approximately USD 105.
- In addition, insurance policies purchased through EMGS must be renewed annually. You will be required to apply for a top-up of the insurance policy (a renewal) on a yearly basis.
- The entire processing time takes about 3-4 weeks. Do check with your institution’s international student office for more information.
For student pass renewal, you will need to provide the following:
- A copy of all academic records, certificates or transcripts of studies previously undertaken.
- Proof that the student has achieved a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 and higher.
- Overall attendance must also be at least 80 per cent or above.
- If you fail to meet any of the above requirements, your institution will be required to submit an explanation letter to support your renewal application.
- Do check with your institution’s international student office for more details.
Students must have at least fulfilled 80 per cent of attendance for all modules to be given a passing grade.
Students must achieve a minimum cumulative GPA at 2.00 and above. (For postgrad students, either pass or “fulfilled” requirement to progress by the Dean of Studies)
For institutions outside of Klang Valley, EMGS issues supporting letters to the respective state Immigration Department for the endorsement of the student pass.
6 Steps to Get Your Visa
Please note that all renewal applications must be made via the education institution. You may approach your institution’s international students’ office to get more information. We have summarised the steps below.
- The institution creates a renewal application in STARS on behalf of the student and submits to EMGS.
- To factor in time for processing, your institute will be able to create the renewal application as early as 3 months before the current student pass expiration date.
- As renewal applications can only be made through the educational institution, do check with your institute’s international student office for more information.
- As you have already submitted your health screening report, a health screening is not required for Renewal Applications.
To renew your student pass, we have included a checklist for the necessary documents you will need.
Basic required documents:
- A copy of passport with the same terms and conditions as a new application
- Attendance report
- Academic transcripts
- Endorsement letter for students outside of Klang Valley
For more information, click here.
EMGS Vets All the Documents
- Vetting all the documents and ensuring that the students have achieved the minimum academic grades and attendance requirement.
- Do note that institutions are required to submit academic results and attendance reports on a yearly basis to EMGS.
- EMGS requests for the student’s passport and prepares the relevant documentation requested by the immigration department.
- For more information on the pages required, please refer to here.
Immigration Department Approves the Renewal
- The immigration department approves the renewal application and proceeds with the student pass endorsement.
- Your institution’s international student office will inform you if your student visa renewal has not been successful and advise you on further steps.
Student Pass Endorsement
- Student receives the passport with student pass at the institution.
- Once you have received your new set of documents, please ensure all details are correct.
- Please ensure that you update your international student office with your new visa details.
- Do make a photocopy of all new documents and keep them safe. It is also advisable to keep a soft copy of the same at a secure place.
I-Kad to be Issued by EMGS
- Students will receive their updated i-Kad from their institution.
- Do check and ensure that details on the i-Kad are correct and up-to-date.
- Ensure that you have a photocopy of all new documents for reference purposes. It is also advisable to keep a soft copy of the same at a secure place.