Visa Progression for Existing Student

Visa Progression for Existing Student


  • Students applying for renewal will be issued with a student pass with a maximum duration of 12 months.
  • To avoid overstaying upon the lapse of your student pass, it is recommended that the student pass renewal application be submitted (together with all required documents) no later than 6 weeks from the student pass expiry date.
  • MYR 1,060 (approximately USD 255) non-refundable visa processing fee, although selected institutions are entitled to rebates. There will be an additional charge of MYR 550 (approximately USD 135) for documents such as student pass and i-Kad. In total, it would cost approximately USD 390.
  • In addition, insurance policies purchased through EMGS must to be renewed annually. You will be required to apply for a top-up of the insurance policy (a renewal) on a yearly basis.
  • The entire processing time takes about 3-4 weeks. Do check with your institution’s international student office for more information.
  • The same legal restrictions apply to all those residing in Malaysia and holding a student visa.
  • Refer to here for more information.


Please note that the eligibility criteria for a progression student are are similar to that of a new student. Please see below a summary.

Letter of Eligibility (LOE)

For more information, please refer here.


No-Objection Certificate (NOC)

For more information, please refer here.


Offer Letter

A copy of your offer letter is required in order to apply for a student visa. If you are making an online application, you will only be able to fill out the form and submit an application once you have received a letter of acceptance/offer from your university/college.


Clearance Letter

A clearance/release letter from the previous educational institution is required. A letter of completion issued by the previous educational institution will also be accepted.


Academic Certificates and Transcripts

You will need to provide copies of all academic records, certificates or transcripts of studies previously undertaken. All these documents can be requested from your international student office.

Do check which documents are required as other courses may have additional entry requirements. For more information, you can check the entry requirements provided by the education institution.


  • You must achieve a CGPA of at least 2.0 or higher and your overall attendance must also be at least 80 per cent or higher in order to renew your student pass.
  • If you fail to meet any of the above requirements, your institution will be required to submit an explanation letter to support your renewal application.

English Language Requirement

As most courses at Malaysia universities are conducted in English, your English proficiency must be sufficiently good to be able to participate in and benefit fully from your course. When applying for a Visa Approval Letter (VAL), you are required to upload the certificate or transcript of your English test to show your level of mastery. The following English language tests may be used for your student visa application:

  • Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE-A)
  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
  • Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE)
  • Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE)
  • Malaysian University English Test (MUET)


  • Do attach your English language certificate when creating your VAL application to avoid any delay in processing.

How Else Can You Obtain an English Language Certificate?

During the VAL application process, you can register for either of the two internationally recognised English language assessments which you can sit for once you are in Malaysia.

  1. Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE-A)
  2. International English Language Testing System (IELTS)

You can register and pay for both these assessments while applying for your VAL. Once your VAL has been approved and you have arrived in Malaysia, you will have the choice of either:

  1. Sit for the English language assessment while waiting for the VAL to be issued (after you have paid for the application)



  2. Take the English Language assessment as soon as you arrive in Malaysia



  3. Enrol in an English language class at your institution once you arrive in Malaysia and take the assessment once you have completed the language course. You are allowed to take language classes within 12 months from your date of arrival.

Steps to Get Your Visa

Please note that all progression applications must be made through your education institution. You may approach your institution’s international students’ office to get more information.

Sign up for our Newsletter

Stay up to date upcoming events from Education Malaysia Global Services Community.