Quality & Standards
The last two decades has seen a vast growth in Malaysia’s higher education especially public and private higher education institutions. This has increased the number of both, programmes offered as well as the level of studies i.e. certificate, diploma, degree, etc. that are available for students to choose from.
Malaysia Qualification Agency (MQA) monitors the quality of all areas of the education system. Accreditation is a formal recognition that a certificate, diploma or degree programme attains when they meet the quality standards and criteria and is in compliance with the agency. This ensures students gain the skills they need and obtain qualifications that are relevant for their future career.
The Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA) is the main quality assurance and accrediting body and has the responsibility of assuring the quality of both public and private higher education institutions in Malaysia.
The responsibilities assigned to MQA includes:
● to implement the Malaysian Qualifications Framework (MQF) as a basis for quality assurance of higher education and as the reference point for the criteria and standards for national qualifications.
● to develop, with the cooperation of stakeholders, standards and criteria and instruments as a national reference for the conferment of awards.
● to quality assure higher education providers and programmes.
● to facilitate the recognition and articulation of qualifications.
● to establish and maintain the Malaysian Qualifications Register (MQR).
● to advice the Minister of Higher Education on any matter relating to quality assurance in higher education.
Understanding Our Qualifications
The Malaysian Qualifications Framework (MQF) serves as a basis for quality assurance of higher education and as the reference point for national qualifications. It is an instrument that classifies qualifications based on international best practices and on a set of criteria that are approved nationally.
MQF has eight levels of qualifications which covers a range from certificates to doctoral in three national sectors, Skills, Vocational and Technical and Higher Education. The MQF levels are:
● Levels 1 and 2 are Skills Certificates awarded by the Skills Sectors
● Level 3 is Higher Education and Vocational and Technical Certificates
● Leve 4 and 5 are Diploma and Advanced Diploma
● Level 6 is Bachelor’s Degree
● Level 7 is Master’s Degree
● Level 8 is Doctoral Degree
The levels are differentiated by learning outcomes, credit hours and student learning time. Lifelong education pathways cut across all levels of qualifications through accreditation of prior experiential learning.